The Greenwood Community Church Foundation was formed in 1993 to take title for the Community of Elk to the former Greenwood Methodist Church. The 103-year-old church was built by the residents and donated to the town in 1892. The Methodist Church gained title to the church almost 100 years ago when the town's trustees defaulted on the church property-tax payments. In early 1993, local residents learned that the Methodist Redwood Empire Missions, the legal owner, planned to put the church up for sale due to low attendance and maintenance problems.
Responding to a local uproar, the Methodists' regional board of directors agreed to negotiate with the community before seeking other buyers. The board agreed to sell the church to the community for $170,000 - the asking price, with zero interest.
The church is being paid for over a 10 year period by the $500 monthly rent of the church parsonage. Additionally, $5,000 payments are made every two years from donations and fundraisers.
Renovation of the church has proceeded at a steady pace since the re-dedication of the church, November 21, 1993. Funds had been previously set aside from the rental of the parsonage for a new foundation which was completed last winter. New paint inside and out is now in progress, paid for by the proceeds of a recent art auction featuring 30 local artists, as well as generous donations from community members.
The stated purpose of the not-for-profit corporation is to keep the historic church as a house of worship and fellowship open to all faiths. The regular schedule includes a non-denominational Sunday service at 10 am; Transmission Meditation, Tuesday evenings at 8 pm; Subud Meditation, Sunday mornings at 8:30; as well as weddings, Bar-Mitzvahs, and community services. For reservations, call Leanore Almanrode at 707-877-3517.